Sunday, April 12, 2015

Wocka 3

As 2015 arrived this January, a new student arrived in my kindergarten classroom. This poor kid had a reputation before he ever got in the building. His report card told of poor attendance and even worse behavior and his previous principal called mine to warn of his arrival. I was determined to give the poor guy a fair shot and things were ok at the start. He had manners, he was intelligent, and he seemed to know the basics of being a student. Unfortunately, that honeymoon stage came to an end and he has now taken on the persona of Wocka, a name I've affectionately given my behaviorally challenged students based on the story of the first "Wocka" ; I'll have to tell that one another time. It started with trouble following directions and being combative with his specials teachers, but soon it turned into frustration in the classroom when we wasn't called on and anger when the classwork became a little challenging. Yelling, kicking, ripping papers, throwing school supplies....Wocka 3.

After the initial shock of  "is this really happening in my classroom", it dawned on me that, at times, my behavior isn't so different than Wocka's. I don't like to be told what to do and I get an attitude sometimes when I'm made to do something that I don't want to do. I get frustrated when a task is challenging. I've wanted to and have thrown things in anger when I don't feel considered, important, or appreciated. 
We don't see many students that behave the way Wocka does because, thankfully, there aren't that many 5 and 6 year-olds who have been through enough hard life stuff to manifest behavior so extreme. But unfortunately, every now and again, we, teachers come across a few that have and it's unsettling and difficult to handle, especially with a room full of 23 or so other students that need you too.

As adults, many of us HAVE been through enough hard life stuff that it makes some of our behavior choices seem excusable. But is it really acceptable? Is the choice of words we use when we're upset acceptable? Are our actions when we're upset acceptable? 

Children are given the tools to handle their feelings and control their frustrations. We, adults, provide the consistency and structure they need to help promote better behaviors and choices. But as adults, no one is making us set boundaries or make better behavioral choices. If we are self aware enough to know that our relationships are being affected by how we choose to relate within them, it is our own responsibility to decide to do things differently. We can read books or go to counseling. We have options. But it's up to us to do the work.

My faith and belief in God has been my greatest source in navigating through all of issues I've faced in my life and has been particularly instrumental in my current Wocka episode. Here are a few verses that have encouraged me:
Encouragement Link 1   Encouragement Link 2    Encouragement Link 3

Lastly, here are a couple verses to encourage each of us as we change the "Wocka" in ourselves:
Change verse 1   Change verse 2

May you and I be brave enough to look at our behaviors and our choices this week and consider if there is something we should change.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments: