Friday, July 17, 2015

Maybe It's Just Me...

...and maybe this post pertains only to me. But after having a certain word repeat itself over and over again in my head for the past two days, I knew I needed to write about it.

It happens when I'm complimented for something I've done.
It happens when I look in the mirror and my hair, make-up and outfit all come together into one nice finished product.
It happens when I think on all the things I've accomplished in my career and in life.

But...

It also happens when I'm at a store and I see someone wearing something I don't find flattering or fashionable.
It also happens when I hear about someone's unfortunate situation and the first thing I think is, "That sucks, glad it's not me".
It also happens strangers, or even acquaintances, or worst yet, friends, make choices and decisions that I would not make and I think about them judgmentally. (Yea, it happens)

Pride. (Click on the word and read the first paragraph of Wikipedia's definition of pride to see its positives and negatives.)

My first three examples are ok in moderation and with perspective. My last three examples make me feel ashamed of myself. However, I'm glad that this word came to mind. It made me think of all of those examples and the changes I need to make, particularly in my thinking. It also made me think of a word I want to put more into practice.

Humility (Click on the word and read Wikipedia's definition)

Here are some scriptures on this topic of pride and humility.

Verse 1    Verse 2     Verse 3   Verse 4

Maybe it is just me that needed this gently brought to my attention. But on the off chance it's not just me, I hope you don't spend nearly as much time as I did beating yourself up about the first word. I hope we channel our energies into working hard implementing that second word.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment